19-21/06/2019, Pamplona - Spain
5th Historic Mortars Conference (HMC 2019)
The Department of Chemistry of the University of Navarra is glad to announce that the 5th Historic Mortars Conference (HMC 2019) will take place in Pamplona, Spain, 19th-21st June, 2019. The Conference will be hosted by the research group of Heritage, Materials & Environment and is chaired by Professor José Ignacio Álvarez.
This event is co-sponsored by RILEM.
The 5th HMC 2019 will focus on research about aspects concerning technology and characterization of historic mortars, significance of the mortars and conservation and restoration issues in historic masonry structures and archaeological sites, historic plasters, design and preparation of preservation products, repair materials (mortars, renders, plasters and grouts) and test methods (for historic and repair mortars).
The HMC 2019 is open to scientists, architects, restorers, conservators, historians, archaeologists, heritage professionals, companies and cultural stakeholders.
The proposed topics for this edition of the Conference are:
- Characterization of historic mortars and masonry structures. Sampling and test methods.
- Historic production, processing and application of mortars, renders and grouts. Lime technologies.
- Mortars in archaeological sites. Construction history. Archaeometry. Dating of historic mortars.
- Historic renders and plasters. Gypsum-based plasters and mortars. Adobe and mud mortars. Rammed earth constructions. Natural and Roman cement mortars. Assessment.
- Conservation issues concerning mortars, plasters, renders and grouts. Diagnosis. Decay and damage mechanisms. Case studies.
- Preservation. Consolidation materials and techniques. Development of new products. Preventive conservation.
- Repair mortars and grouts. Requirements and design. Compatibility issues. Durability and effectiveness. Adequacy of testing procedures.
More info: LINK