15 janvier 2018
Call for Papers: European Lacquer in Context (ELinC) Conference
Thursday, 18 January, 2018 to Friday, 19 January, 2018
Deadline: Sunday, 4 June, 2017
Place: Brussels, Jubelpark/Parc du Cinquantenaire
The Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage (KIK-IRPA, Brussels, Belgium), the University of Antwerp dep. Conservation Studies (UA, Antwerp, Belgium) and the Royal Museums of Art and History (KMKG-MRAH, Brussels, Belgium) kindly invite you to participate in our two-day conference European Lacquer in Context.
The theme of this conference is European lacquers in a broad sense: theoretical and practical work concerning conservation and restoration, art historical, technological and chemical research will be highlighted.
We encourage students, young and established professionals to submit an abstract for either a poster or a paper presentation. Both theory and practice-oriented contributions from professionals working with European lacquers are considered (among others curators, conservators, restorers, art historians, analytical scientists and anyone with an interest in European lacquers). Presentations of collaboration projects between different professions are strongly encouraged.
The following is a suggestive and non-exhaustive list of topics of interest for this conference. Especially contributions concerning interdisciplinary studies are encouraged, with a focus on the period between the 17th and the end of the 19th century.
- Case studies concerning the conservation and restoration of European lacquers
- Art-historical studies on European lacquers
- Technological studies on lacquered objects
- Art-technological sources (research, interpretation,?)
- Analytical challenges and strategies in the identification of lacquer composition
- Historical reconstructions (experiences, evaluation)
- Contextualisation of workshops, guilds, production, ?
- Trade in European lacquerware
- Lacquer production and industrialisation in the long 19th century
- Restoration history of lacquerware
- Chemical and physical alterations of lacquer upon ageing
- Imaging techniques for lacquerware and related finishing layer
Projects already presented and/or published will not be considered.
Please submit the abstract before 4 June, 2017 through the conference online abstract form: http://conf.kikirpa.be/elinc2018/abstract-submission/
Conference fee (for both days):
Regular: 200 euro
Students: 150 euro (obliged to submit proof)
Early bird registration before 15 October, 2017 (for both days):
Regular: 150 euro
Students: 100 euro (obliged to submit proof)
For more information about the conference, please visit the ELinC-conference website: http://conf.kikirpa.be/elinc2018/